Monday, May 9, 2011

Congratulations Laura & Matt!



Last weekend my co-worker got married in a small private ceremony. Since the wedding was only for 2 people, and she can't have gluten they decided to forgo getting a cake. Well when I heard that I decided that wasn't ok, and that I would make her a cake! I had never made a wedding cake- or a cake that was gluten free before, so I was a little worried about the results. I decided not to tell her my plan just in case the cake didn't work out well. The recipes for gluten free cakes were incredibly intimidating so I went with a cake mix instead. The cake turned out spongy- but not bad tasting. I baked a sheet cake and then cut small and larger circles from that. I really had no clue what I was doing as far as the decorating went. I had never covered a cake in fondant before. I rolled out the fondant and just draped it over, then did my best to even out any lumps or folds. This worked well for the top of the cake, but the sides were a little dicey. Good thing there's decorative icing and ribbon to cover up little mistakes. Overall I was pretty pleased with the results!! I want to take a cake decorating class soon so I can learn how to do this the right way.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so nice of you Christie and the cake turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete