Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup Fiasco

I was so excited. I love pumpkin and had been researching pumpkin soups to try out. I found a few variations on pumpkin and black bean soup and decided to give it a try last night. Everything was going really well, and the soup had been simmering for about half an hour, I adjusted seasonings and it was tasting gooooodd and I was really excited to have some. The last step in the recipe that I was loosely working off was to add sherry vinegar. Earlier in the recipe it had called for actual Sherry which I didn't have and didn't feel like buying so I just tossed in some red wine instead. The soup already tasted good, but since I had omitted the earlier Sherry and had bought sherry vinegar I figured I should add it- right??? The sherry vinegar was completely overpowering. I ended up diluting the soup with more vegetable stock which helped some but it was no where near as good as before I added the vinegar. It was incredibly disappointing. I'll make it again the original way.... When I'm done eating this large vat good but not great soup. (If you live in the San Diego area and would like some good but not great black bean and pumpkin soup please let me know. I've got a lot. )

This is how to make the better version of the soup (please do not be temped to add Sherry of any sort)


Pumpkin & Black Bean Soup

3 cans of black beans
1 can tomatoes
2 T olive oil
1 soft ball sized white onion diced
1/2 c shallots diced
4 to 5 cloves of garlic diced
1 1/2 T cumin
2 C of pumpkin (This is about 1 1/2 cans of pumpkin puree, I love pumpkin tho so i'd throw in the extra but If you are not a pumpkin fanatic like me you could just use one can)
1/4 C red wine
2 - 4 cups of stock (I used vegetable but beef would probably add more flavor and go better if you decide to add ham or bacon)
Chili Powder or Cayenne Pepper
Salt & Pepper
optional chopped bacon (I wanted to make this soup vegeterian, but I think it would be delicious with some bacon)

Yield: about 9 or 10 cups

Blend rinsed beans and tomatoes in food processor. ( left the beans just roughly blended, and even some whole ones since I like soups with texture )

Saute onion, shallots, cumin, salt and pepper (and bacon if using) in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add in black bean tomato puree, and pumpkin, once combined add stock and wine. Let simmer for about 25 minutes and season with additonal salt, pepper, and chili powder. 

This soup is thick and hearty, more like a chili, you can add more stock if you want to have a thinner soup, and also you could use an immersion blender if you want to make it a little smoother and less chunky. (every time I make soup I wish that I had an immersion blender. I am now accepting donations of immersion blenders if anyone would like to give me one.) Also note the yeild on this recipe is pretty high. Next time i'll probably make just a half batch. No pictures of this one, I've got to get some photo worthy dishes and practice my food photography skills.

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy, but will take your advice about the wine. Your Dad and Rich will surely have some. Good start on a fun blog.

    ReplyDelete