Friday, December 10, 2010

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Recipe Review: easy to make at home chicken lettuce wraps that taste as good as at a restaurant! Great as an appetizer, can be served with rice, or soup to make a full entree.


I freaking love the lettuce wraps that they make at PF Chang's. I used to work in a mall that had a PF Chang's and would order the chicken lettuce wraps for lunch all the time. There's just something about the cold crunchy lettuce wrapped around the chicken mix. This is probably also why I like my burgers from In-n-Out "protein style" (wrapped in lettuce instead of on a bun. Its a little messy, but delicious!) In general I haven't had much luck cooking Asian food, and usually go the take out route (side note/rant: there is no good Chinese food in San Diego. None. Amazing sushi but, Its been over 3 years and I've yet to find Chinese that's anything close to the quality they have back in New York) but this looked easy enough so I went for it
Most of the recipe just involves chopping up the ingredients, carrot, onion, red bell peppers, garlic and chicken are the man ingredients and then there are some seasonings and a few other secondary ingredients. Total cooking time after all the chopping and prep work was done was only about 10 minutes. Kevin and I both liked this. I only messed up a little in forgetting to buy cashews. I had wanted to throw those in there. We both agreed that they would have been good so I'm going to add them to the written recipe.

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
adapted from Rachael Ray

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as Montreal Seasoning
1 lb chicken breast cut into thin pieces an inch long or smaller
1 large red bell pepper diced
1 small onion chopped
2 large carrot diced
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/8 cup chicken stock
1 8 ounce can water chestnuts, drained and roughly chopped
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1/2 cup unsalted cashew nuts
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 head iceberg lettuce
ground red pepper

Heat vegetable oil in a large pan season the chicken with grill seasoning and add to hot skillet in an even layer. Still while it cooks through, about 2 minutes. Add the red bell pepper, onion, carrot, garlic, an continue to cook for 3-4 more minutes.

While the chicken and the veggies are cooking combine the hoisin sauce and the chicken stock in a mall bowl. Add the liquid to the chicken along with the water chestnuts and stir until sauce is thickened to desired consistency. Add bean sprouts and cashews, stir to coat and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with toasted sesame seeds.

Separate lettuce by cutting into quarters and remove center. Spoon chicken mixture into lettuce "cups" and enjoy!
To make this into a meal I served it with the Thai Curried Pumpkin Soup that I made and that worked really well together. These would also be a good light lunch on their own. I put soy sauce on my wraps and Kevin added extra hoisin sauce.

I'm headed to a Christmas wine swap and appetizer party tonight. (Isn't a wine swap so much better than a cookie exchange?? I vote to change all cookie exchanges into wine swaps. Alcohol wins over time consuming baking anytime) I'm making a deconstructed spinach artichoke dip on pita chips (sounds fancy but its not) I've never made it before but if it turns out well I'll snap some photos and post it up here! Hope everyone has a good weekend, I can't believe there are only two weeks left until Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment