Friday, February 4, 2011

Breakfast To Go

Recipe Review: My go to Breakfast Sandwich recipe. Perfect to reheat and eat on the fly!

I am not a morning person. I never have been and I'm pretty sure that I never will be. I've gotten a little better over the years, but will basically do anything I can to get those extra 5 minutes of sleep. It typically takes me a full hour before I actually "wake up" and can wrap my groggy brain around a concept like breakfast. What this means is that most days I end up eating my breakfast at work. There's a Starbucks approximately 75ft from my desk, (which believe me- makes controlling my caffeine addiction challenging) so that's a nice back up, but I try to bring my breakfasts with me. Every week or so I prep a batch of breakfast sandwiches, that can either be refrigerated or frozen, so I can just grab them on my way out the door.


Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches
yield: 6 sandwiches
1 Package Thomas' Whole Wheat Light English Muffins
3 eggs
3 egg whites
1/2 cup finely diced vegetables (my favorites are, green onions, red onions, zucchini, asparagus, bell peppers, and spinach)
3 oz lite cheese shredded
1 tsp seasoning salt
ground red and black pepper
3 links of Trader Joe's Chicken Sausage cut in half, then split

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a pan with non stick cooking spray and heat over medium high. Dice veggies and saute till fragrant- about 3 minutes, remove from heat. Spray six small souffle cups with cooking spray and arrange on a baking sheet.

Beat eggs well with a fork, and add in seasonings. Pour into souffle cups, split veggie mixture up and spoon into egg cups. Sprinkle cheese on top of each cup. Bake for about 30 minutes, until eggs are set and rise like a muffin. Let cool completely (the eggs will deflate).

Split and pre-toast the English muffins on your toasters medium low setting. Layer egg and sausage onto muffin, between wax paper, and wrap tightly in saran wrap. Freeze or refrigerate if you'll be eating the sandwich within the next few days.

Nutrition Information: 230 Calories, Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 2.9g, Cholesterol 126mg, Carbohydrates 26mg, Fiber 8.5g, Protein 20.6g


When I reheat these I toast the English muffin, and microwave the egg and sausage, then reassemble the sandwich. Taste wise it really doesn't seem to matter if you freeze these guys, they hold up really well to reheating. I really do recommend putting wax paper in between the egg and the English muffin, especially if you are freezing. If you don't then the egg sticks to the muffin. This is not quite so essential if you are just going to be refrigerating. Obviously these are also great eaten right away too!



2 comments:

  1. This recipe is just what I was looking for! One question, though .... how big are the souffle cups?

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are 4oz size- I bought a set of 6 for 10 dollars so that I can prep a whole week of the sandwiches at once. Also I called these "souffle cups" but the correct term might be ramekins. Sorry for the lag replying- I hadn't unpacked them yet after my move!

    ReplyDelete