Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hummus

Recipe Review: Mom's favorite hummus recipe, great for a healthy appetizer or snack

While I was home over the holidays I took advantage of my mom's food processor and made some flavored hummus to bring to a New Years party I was attending. My mom insists that the hummus from the Moosewood Restaurant cookbook is the best hummus and shes been making it for years. I prefer flavored hummus, and this one is a good base, but its strongly flavored with tahini, and I would probably cut that down if you want to add another flavor to the hummus, since it overpowered some of the variations that I tried. I made avocado cilantro, olive, and artichoke hummus but the best variation was the olive. I'm just going to write up the basic recipe, which can be customized with add ins or is great alone!
Hummus
from The Moosewood Cookbook
1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, reserve liquid to adjust consistency of hummus
3 medium cloves of minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp. salt
dash of tamari (or soy sauce)
juice from 2 medium lemons
3/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup finely minced parsley
ground black pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup minced scallions

Use food processor to mash chickpeas into a thick paste. Add remaining ingredients and use liquid from chickpeas if mixture is too thick. Adjust seasonings to taste and add in any extras.

I prefer a smoother hummus so I threw everything into the food processor. If you wanted more texture the green onions, and other add ins could be chopped up first, and then stirred in by hand, but that seems like far too much work for me. Also Tahini can be found in most supermarkets near the peanut butter. Its a sesame paste, and sometimes it separates, so if necessary stir well before adding.
printable recipe

I like hummus best on veggies- cut red peppers, carrots and celery are my favorites.

Speaking of New Years its one of my resolutions this year to write 52 blog entries this year (That's an average of one a week) So hopefully I'll have lots of fun new recipes posted regularly. Also this year was quite a cooking themed Christmas- I got a new apron, a knife set, a rolling pin, and a Kitchen-Aid mixer, along with a flash for Digital SLR that I use to take most of the food photos on this blog. I'm quite excited to try all these things out and write about using them this year!

1 comment:

  1. Ch- This IS the best hummus recipe there is! I do like to add the parsley and green onions, finely chopped, by hand, otherwise you'll get green hummus. Remember not to overdo the garlic. -Mom

    ReplyDelete