Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rave Review: Trader Joe's Chicken Sausage

I had to give a shout out to Trader Joe's for making this product. In general they do a great job with prepared foods, salads, frozen stuff, and have an excellent wine selection. Unfortunately they aren't everywhere but if you have access to a Trader Joe's I highly suggest you try these out!


You can find these guys in the refrigerated section, and there are typically 6 or 7 varieties to choose from. Spicy Jalapeno (like the ones above), Sundried Tomato, Sweet Apple, Spinach Fontina & Roasted Garlic, and Italian are a few. They contain no MSG, are Gluten free, and typically contain between 90 -110 calories in each sausage, depending on the flavor. I use these for everything. I'll split one and put half on a breakfast sandwich, crumble it and use it in pasta sauce or lasagna. I've used them for taco filling, in place of a hot dog, or just as the main protein in a meal. I tend to get tired if I eat too much of something but since there are so many flavors these never seem to get old. A pack of 5 costs $3.99. There is another variety of chicken sausage they have, that are larger and curved (more like a traditional sausage would look) These seem to have a thicker casing, as an fyi. I seem to like the ones that are more hot dog shaped because I don't love the casing on the other ones, but they have great flavor.

Trader Joe's edamame hummus is another great one to try if you are there, and there frozen goyza dumplings, and the peppermint Joe Joe's if they are in season. They also stock one of my favorite wines Casillero del Diablo Carmenere. Its 7.99 and a really great bottle of wine. I actually saw it at Costco this morning for only 5.99 a bottle! I should have bought a case...

Concha y Toro Casillero Del Diablo Carmenere 2007


2 comments:

  1. Sweet apple is awesome, I just had some with roasted mushrooms and soft scrambled eggs. The best. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love TJ's. My favorite's are Sun-Dried Tomato and the Sweet Italian Style variety. I have to try the Sweet Chicken Apple Sausages now. I do like that some of them don't have the sausage casings for those who avoid pork.

    ReplyDelete